Today technology is driving the world. And at METRO.digital we are driving the technology for one of the leading international wholesalers specializing in food - METRO. From ecommerce to checkout, to delivery software, we work on a wide range of products to meet the needs of our users - METRO’s customers and employees from across 25 countries. With passion and responsibility, we move the wholesale industry towards digitization and leverage METRO’s long history and expertise in B2B for building a more sustainable market ecosystem.
Purpose of your new department
Our Analytics and Data science hub is a place, where analysts, data engineers and data scientists connect. It’s also here where we leverage data to innovate and make intelligent decisions.
For the trader business, with the help of Machine Learning, by using the retail data we are retrieving from the market (e.g. pos transactions ) and other data sets from our data lake, we provide accurate forecast on purchasing behavior and preferences, which serve as basis for providing a value adding experience to METRO customers ( e.g. providing deep personalized product recommendations during the ordering process). For that, with our ML-based prediction tool we provide our service teams the tools to address the customers with relevant content at the right time. We are proud to make our contribution in building up smart and large scale solutions to help understand and improve our business. Additionally, we have an opportunity to learn from experts in the field and have sufficient time to enhance our own skills and knowledge base.
Curious to get more information about the team, the product, or the tech stack? https://metro.digital/hubs/data-science-hub/
What you can expect:
- Holistic approach: You are involved in all phases of data science process, from model conceptualization and tuning over model implementation to model testing and running on the cloud. A high working quality, which is ensured by extensive test automation.
- Teamwork: You are part of independent data science team with colleagues from all over the world which develop predictive and recommender system models and deploy them continuously to production. A constant exchange of knowledge within our analytics and data science hub, but also with product manager and stakeholders.
- Modern work philosophy: An agile development environment with pair programming, code reviews and international showcases. Use of innovative and state of the art technologies.
Required key competencies and qualifications:
- University degree in statistics, mathematics, physics or engineering with a focus in analytics, machine learning, statistical learning methods and approaches
- At least 3 years of experience in successfully working as part of a professional Data Science unit, ideally, in the area of retail / wholesale
- Practical experience in big data technologies, cloud services. Experience with Google Cloud Platform would be a strong plus
- Fluency in SQL and Python
- Ability to expand own knowledge to business domains like marketing, assortment optimization, pricing, supply chain
- Very strong analytical skills and ability to contribute to an open, international team culture to drive the knowledge exchange and learning of all team members
- Continuous self-learning attitude combined with high level of curiosity to explore new ways of working
- Our international environment requires that you must be fluent in English (both written and spoken)
Our general Benefits:
Work-Life Balance: flexible working hours, homeoffice, 30 days of vacation and flexible office options.
Personal growth: a comprehensive further training offer over our METRO House of Learning as well as individual development opportunities.
Well-being: Health programs, pension scheme, regular employee events and the opportunity to participate in the annual METRO Marathon.
Comfort: very good transport connections and free parking spaces including charging stations for e-mobility. Two canteens with delicious and discounted meals plus other catering facilities. Furthermore, discounts in our stores as well as at many partner companies.
Respect: You respect individuals and mutual ideas, and appreciate each contributions. Furthermore, you can admit mistakes in order to learn and grow
Pragmatism: You strive for simple and effective solutions and processes, get things done by taking calculated risks rather than doing it perfectly, and continuously run experiments and making data-drdiven decisions to mazimize the value.
Ownership: You love to take the initiative and moving things forward. Furthermore, you hold yourself accountable for the outcomes and empower yourself to make decisions.
Passion: You are passionate about solving our customer's problems, have an inspirational attitude and are enthusiastic. And you strive for the highest standards and continuously improvement.
Have we aroused your interest? Then we are looking forward to your online application. METRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer all qualified applicants full equal opportunities.
Your point of contact:
Date posted03 May 2022