Today technology is driving the world. And at METRO digital we are driving the technology for one of the leading international wholesalers specializing in food - METRO. From ecommerce to checkout, to delivery software, we work on a wide range of products to meet the needs of our users - METRO’s customers and employees from across 25 countries. With passion and responsibility, we move the wholesale industry towards digitization and leverage METRO’s long history and expertise in B2B for building a more sustainable market ecosystem.
Scope of your department and the role:
As Director of Engineer at METRO.digital, you oversee the entire engineering organization of METRO.digital the software/product unit of METRO GROUP.
Most engineering employees work as software engineers, software architects, data scientists and managers. You will directly manage a group of managers spread across the locations, who in turn manage the engineers and data scientists. You will report to the CEO of METRO.digital, also the CIO of METRO AG.
Current total number of employees of the engineering organization under the leadership of the director of engineering is 320 FTES (120 in Germany and 200 in Romania). For context, METRO.digital employs around 900 IT professionals in 6 cities and 2 countries (Düsseldorf, Berlin, Hanover in Germany and Bucharest, Cluj, Brasov in Romania). The base is Düsseldorf with a major presence in Bucharest as well.
Your new challenges:
- Drive the engineering strategy at the company. How will engineering contribute to the success of the company? Some relevant topics are: API strategy, hiring strategy, cloud strategy, SRE, architecture, engineering standards, quality and testing etc.
- Manage a team of engineering managers and support them in their tasks of managing their people and executing the engineering strategy, which they help co-create. Make sure the group is a healthy team with active exchange. Support the managers in their own career growth and development paths.
- Create space for engineers to work on tasks that are necessary for doing excellent engineering work, so they are not pressured to build up technical debt or not be able to do anything about it. Approach other product leaders to create this healthy environment for engineering.
- Drive the recruitment process to hire and retain excellent engineering talent.
- Have an understanding on the business goals of the company and the solutions and products we offer. Drive engineering objectives (OKRs) to help advanced the solutions and drive innovation efforts.
- Create a high-performance engineering organization that measures how well its doing and how it delivers, with a no-blaming culture but rather one that always wants to improve.
- Support the company in transitioning towards a true product organization and make sure that engineers are empowered to solve business problems rather than only build features.
- Help design the frameworks using which career growth and people development happens for your people and in the company overall. In your role, this will be one of the main topics considering the high number of professionals reporting to your organization.
- Facilitate exchange and knowledge sharing between teams and different departments at the company.
- Experience in engineering management, ideally on C or executive level.
- As a member of the top management circle at METRO.digital, you have excellent communication skills.
- Leadership skills (authentic and empathetic).
- Software engineering background and experience, capable of engaging in technical discussions and having an opinion.
- Global scaled products
- Modern development environment
- Attractive salary package including long term incentives
- Executive pension plan
- Company car
- Health check budget
Have we aroused your interest? Then we are looking forward to your online application. METRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer all qualified applicants full equal opportunities.
Your point of contact:
Head of Recruiting Solutions
Date posted31 May 2021